You can add any number of additional phases to a workflow board by clicking the universal ‘Add’ button on the ‘New Phase’ area.
Note: This is an in-depth article. Please reach out to our Customer Success Team if you require any support in setting up and configuring your workflow(s).
Click the Universal ‘Add’ button
Complete the phase builder:
- Give the phase a Title
- If useful add a Description
- If the phase being added is an end phase (e.g. a rejected phase) click the checkbox ‘This phase is an end of process’.
This will add the phase between the Start Form & Workflow End phases.
Repeat for as many phases as needed.
Editing a phase
Click the edit icon (3 vertical dots) to reveal the edit options:
- Edit this phase - this where all the phase attributes are set
- Move Right / Left - move the position of any middle phase left or right
- Archive - if the phase is no longer needed, then Archive it.
Setting phase attributes
This is where all the rules are set that determine how the card flows through the workflow.
Click ‘Edit this Phase’ to access all the phase attributes.
Set / Edit the phase, Title, Description and mark if the phase is an ‘end of phase’.
If you would like the Phase Description to display in the Workflow cards, serving as instructions to users actioning cards in that phase, check the 'Display description within workflow cards' box.
First set the Authorisation for this phase:
- Internal - Strictly internal users
- Supplier Portal - For Supplier Portal users
- Employee Portal - Employee portal user (You can choose to enable a public link for the request form)
- Supplier eNegotiate - For Supplier Users associated with an eNegotiate process
Next, you can choose your Auto-Assign rules which will automatically assign the card ownership to your chosen setting
Finally, if Auto-Assign can not find an owner for a particular card you can choose a backup setting for your Card Owner which includes the card creator, a workflow group or a member of a workflow group
In the ‘Form Access’ tab you can set who should receive an auto notification email when a card enters the phase.
You can choose from:
- Card Owner - Which is the assigned phase owner
- Card Creator - Which is the form requestor
- CC Group - You can CC in one or many users in a workflow group
Set, for each form section, whether the form is Read only, Hidden or Editable for the phase being edited.
Set whether the phase is an approving phase or not - click the ‘Enabled’ checkbox if the phase is an approving phase.
Please visit this article for a detailed breakdown of all of the available actions, Configuring Workflow Actions
Set the rules that determine which phase the card is automatically routed to when exiting the current phase. Cards can also be dragged and dropped for closely managed processes.
For example, on an approval phase, there may be two rules:
- If approved, move to the next phase
- If rejected, move to the rejection phase
But you can also set 'Conditional' Transition rules that can be nested for example:
If approved and Contract Value > $1,000,000 move to CEO Review phase
Choose the 'Conditional' radio button and click ‘Add Transition’ to open the builder and give the transition a Title (E.g. Approved, Value under $1m)
Set rule status and where to transition to when the card exits the phase.
Click the edit icon next to ‘Transition to’
Select the relevant phase (e.g. Legal Review)
Add the rules that drive the transition - click ‘Add’ to open the rule builder
From the dropdowns, choose the conditions (e.g. the card is approved)
If needed, add any nested rules (e.g. the card is approved and the value is £1m or more)
The builder now displays the rules for the transition created
To activate the rule, click the edit icon next to ‘Rule Status’
Change the status from ‘Pipeline’ to ‘Live’.
That's it, the transition rule has been created and activated.
Repeat as necessary until all transition rules have been created