What is an Event?
Events in Gatekeeper are a great way to automate communication with your Gatekeeper community. Perhaps you need to request information for a certain date? Maybe you require a reminder for a Contract, Supplier or Project review? Events can automate communication with your Gatekeeper community by providing them with timely reminders to inform and remind them. You can also add Approvals to the process to create effective Workflows.
This article intends to walk you through:
- Creating a one off or repeated event within Gatekeeper
- Assigning an owner to an event
- Setting auto notifications related to the event
- Assigning an Approver to the event if approval is required
- Global Events List
Events can be created against Contracts, Suppliers, Categories, Projects and also at Team Levels. In this article, we are going to walk you through creating an event against a contract record. The same process we are about to walk you through can be used to create events against the records previously mentioned.
How to create an Event?
To get started with creating a new event select ‘Contracts’ from the navigation menu on the far left of the screen.
Select the Contract that you would like to create an event against and then click the green ‘Add’ button that is featured on the right hand side of the screen. Select ‘Event’ from the drop down menu that appears.
You will be directed to the 'Add Event' form.
- Add the core Event data
For this step the following mandatory data is added:
- Event Type - Choose an event type from the dropdown list. This is configurable within the dropdown list section of Configuration Settings, for further information click here.
- Owner - Select an Internal or External Owner from the dropdown list, this is the person responsible for completing the Event.
It is important to note that when setting an Event Owner, they must have access to the Contract or Supplier record that the Event is being created for.
- Event Title - This will also be used in the email notification as the subject line
2. In addition, there are three non-mandatory fields that can be populated if you wish to decorate the Event Record with additional relevant information:
- Due Date - The date the 'Owner' should receive the notification advising them the event is due. (Required to set a notification)
- Event Description - Enables the full details of what is required to be recorded. Also this will be used in the email notification as the email content.
- Completed Date - This is usually left blank when creating an Event unless a completed Event is being added retrospectively.
3. Once this data has been created, select 'Save' to create the event record and move on to another task.
The advanced settings section of an event allows you to add an approver to the event to create an effective workflow. You can also set the event to repeat and then choose how often you would like the event to repeat.
Add an Approver:
To add an approver to the event:
- Select the ‘This Event requires Approval‘ option.
- You must now select an Approver (mandatory). To do so, select an approver from the drop-down menu under the Approver field.
- Now when the event is due and completed by the Event Owner it will be submitted for approval. The approver will be notified and will have the option to Accept or Reject'
Creating a Recurring Event
Note: Recurring events can only be created from directly accessing the event via the object (Contract, Supplier, etc) It is not available from the Global Event List. If you require a notification to be set, please create the Event from the record itself.
- Navigate to the Repeat Event section.
- Click the drop-down box under the Repeats field to select whether you would like the event to repeat on a Monthly or Yearly basis.
- Enter the frequency of how often you would like the event to repeat i.e. Every 2 months or Every 3 years.
- Finally, select when you would like the event to end. You can select the following options:
- Forever: The event will continually repeat until you manually change this
- Times: Select how many times you would like the event to repeat according to what you have selected under the Repeats field
- Until: Select an exact date of when you would like the event stop.
Note: Notifications can only be created from directly accessing the event via the object (Contract, Supplier, etc) It is not available from the Global Event List. If you require a notification to be set, please create the Event from the record itself.
Note: If you set a Due Date on an Event you will get the option within Advanced Settings to send reminders should the Event not be completed by the Due Date.
- Event Creator - Select if you would like to send notifications to the Event creator and set the frequency of notifications they will receive.
- Event Owner - Select if you would like to send notifications the Event Owner and set the frequency of notifications they will receive.
Once the event is created the event creator and owner will receive notification reminders when the event occurs. Owners and event creator will also have the option to start a message thread within the event record. All messages posted under the event record will send a notification to the event creator and owner (the message sender will not receive a notification for any messages they send). For more information on how the messaging feature of GK works please refer to the following KB article.
Global Events List
The global events list can be accessed from the 'Events' tab in the left hand panel of your Gatekeeper instance. It will display an overview of all currently existing events. Events can be created directly from the Global Events List, however they will not contain all of the Advanced Options. For further information on this, please refer to the Advanced Options area of this document.