This article walks through the basic steps of setting up a Form within a Workflow.
Table of contents:
- Where do I find the Form in a Workflow?
- Form Layouts
- How do I start building a Form?
- How do I add fields to an existing Form?
- How do I make a field Mandatory or Hidden?
- How do I delete a Form field?
- How do I delete a Form section?
- How do I add a Section Description?
- How do I edit fields in a Section?
- How do I edit Section visibility?
- How do I set the Card Name?
Where do I find the Form in a Workflow?
On the first Workflow Phase, click the menu icon (three vertical dots) and then select "Edit this Phase" as shown below.
Then, navigate to the "Form" tab along the right-hand side.
There are 2 types of Form Layout.
This presents all form sections to the form submitter in one continuous page. It maximises the width available for the input boxes. This layout is better suited for short submissions or verbose inputs.
Side Menu Layout
This layout gives the form submitter a way to paginate through each section. It is better suited for long or complex form submissions.
Changing Form Layout
Click "LAYOUT" on the form Phase.
You can customise the layout on a phase by phase basis or quickly set all phases to use the same layout by selecting "Apply to all phases."
How do I start building a Form?
From the Form tab, click "ADD SECTION" to start building the Form.
The Form Section builder will open, which allows for flexible construction including a large range of field options such as:
- Workflow Only Fields - these fields live only in the Workflow and are primarily used to drive the form experience and build automated Workflow transitions based on a specific input.
- Predefined Fields - these fields are housed in either the core Gatekeeper record or the corresponding Custom Metadata Group, and can be pulled into the Workflow as needed:
- Core Metadata
- Custom Metadata Groups
- Attached file with Expiry Date
Ensure that a "Section Name" has been added and specify any Predefined data fields before clicking on "Save". To create a Form Section for Workflow Only Fields, leave the "Predefined" option blank.
Please keep the following considerations in mind when configuring Sections:
Section Name - Freeform text, will be shown and formatted as a heading on the Form
Predefined - Dropdown, can be used to pull in standard metadata fields to the Form
Custom Data Group - Dropdown (hidden until "Predefined" is set), allows for the use of Custom Data Groups if present
Description - Freeform text, add if useful and be sure to check "Display Description"
If any "Predefined" options are selected (Supplier, Contract, File with Expiry), the form will be populated with all the related fields. The below example displays Gatekeeper core Contract fields.
How do I add fields to an existing Form?
From any Section where visible, click the available "ADD FIELD" option.
Then, simply enter a Label along with any other the specifics before selecting "Save".
Any newly created Workflow form fields should now appear in the appropriate Section.
Here's how the new "Request Priority" field would display on the Form:
How do I make a field Mandatory or Hidden?
For each field, you have the following checkbox options:
- Mandatory - You can set this field to be required for Form/Phase completion on a field by field basis, or for all fields in the Section by choosing the first "Mandatory" checkbox.
- Hidden - You can select this option to hide the field from your Form/Phase completion on a field by field basis, or for all fields in the Section by choosing the first "Hidden" checkbox.
Note: You cannot have a field set to Hidden and Mandatory at the same time. In this case, selecting the second option will deselect the first automatically.
How do I delete a Form field?
If a Form field is available for deletion, clicking the "Edit" (three dots) icon to the right of the field will reveal a trash can icon. Gatekeeper will ask if you are sure before you select "Delete".
How do I delete a Form section?
If a Form section is available for deletion you can do this by clicking the trash can icon to the right of the form visibility rules. Gatekeeper will ask if you are sure before you select "Delete".
How do I add a Section Description?
When creating the Section, ensure that a Description is included and "Display Description" is checked before hitting "Save".
To edit or add the Description for an existing Section, click on the "Edit" icon to the right-hand side.
The Description will display on the Form as highlighted in light yellow below:
How do I edit fields in a Section?
To edit any of the fields housed in a Gatekeeper Form Section, just select the Edit icon (three dots) to the right of the appropriate field.
Click the pencil/paper icon to modify the Form field.
From the corresponding screen, designate any of the following:
- Label - This is how the field will be labelled in the Form and throughout the Workflow process
- Set as card name - This determines the Card Name as shown in the Workflow
- Type - Choose from an available Gatekeeper field type. For more detailed information regarding field Types, click here.
Note: The Type for any Gatekeeper field is locked once created and cannot be changed. This option will be restricted unless a new field is being added.
- Description - This offers a place to house a description of this field Gatekeeper for informational purposes. To display a description on the Form, we recommend editing the Section Description instead.
- Text - This is the text appearing when a user hovers over the "i" icon (only visible on the Form if Text has been added).
- Link - A URL can be added here if desired, recommended to use a shortened link for user experience.
- Link Text - Link Text must be provided if a Link is entered above. This is the plain text description of the Link and should remain brief.
Here's how the "Contract Name" field would display on the Form based on the above configuration.
Be sure to click "Save" when done.
How do I edit Section visibility?
Each Section of a form can be set as:
- Read only
Note: Section visibility can be set independently in each phase of any Workflow.
The "Custom" option offers the flexibility to build tailored visibility criteria.
Tailored visibility criteria can be applied to all users viewing the form or can be applied at a Workflow Group level. For more detailed information on workflow groups, click here.
To add conditions to form visibility click the "ADD" button to get started.
If all conditions are met when a card enters the phase then the selected visibility option will be applied. If no conditions are entered then the visibility will always be considered as matching.
It is possible to create complex form visibility rules through using multiple sets of conditions. The system will prioritise the most specific rule to the user. i.e. applying visibility for the user's Workflow Group first.
How do I set the Card Name?
Typically, we see the card name being the Contract Title or Supplier Name. To set the card name:
1. Find the field within the first Phase's Gatekeeper Form Section and select the Edit icon (three dots) to the right as shown below
2. Click the pencil/paper icon to modify the Form field settings
Check the box that says "Set as card name" and click "Save".
Please read this article if you would like to understand how to now make your Form Public.